entertainment

Call Me By Your Name sequel to be set 'five or six years' later

The film's director has revealed more details about the planned sequel

2018-03-05

Call Me By Your Name director Luca Guadagnino has teased more details about the movie's potential sequel. 

The acclaimed gay drama, which won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay at the 90th Academy Awards last night (March 4), is an adaptation of André Aciamn's novel of the same name and tells the story of Elio (Timothee Chalamet) and Oliver's (Armie Hammer) relationship in 1980s Italy.

Director Guadagnino previously revealed that he wants to turn the gay drama into a series of films and that the sequel would pick up exactly where the first film left off.

Speaking with USA Today at the Oscars last night, Guadagnino revealed he's already planning the sequel's story with the novel's author.

He said: "I'm already conceiving the story with André Aciman, and it's gonna happen five or six years afterwards. It's gonna be a new movie, a different tone." 

He then revealed that the planned sequel will feature the original film's stars Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet but it will take place in a different setting: "They're gonna go around the world," he said.

However, Guadagnino said he and Aciman need to finalise the script before they can even think about filming the sequel. 

Speaking about filming the first movie, Guadagnino said: "Apart from the fact that it rained for 28 days out of 30 of (shooting) - so it was very humid - we had a great time.

"It was wonderful, 'cause it was really like a family, a huge family being together for long holiday. It was great."

Guadagnino had previously said that HIV and AIDS will be a relevant part of the sequel. Meanwhile, the gay drama was banned by the Tunisian government.