In 2016, fashion is speeding up, with plenty of catwalk brands offering 'buy it now' straight-off-the-runway options. For most of us though, affording that designer price tag is simply out of the question - but fear not, you can still look runway-ready on a budget.
In our new 'Get the Look'
series, we're revealing how you can get those London Fashion Week trends for less, and this week were taking you through that all-important winter jacket.
Whatever's in your wardrobe, your Autumn/Winter look is always defined by what you put over the top of it. With a new season comes new jackets, and the trend for puffa jackets shows no sign of abating for 2016. Reinvigorated on the runway over the past few seasons - most notably in the big glossy forms favoured by Burberry (top right) and AMI (top left) - they're now available in colours, fabrics and finishes to match every taste.
The daring move towards metallics, as witnessed in Calvin Klein and Moschino's latest collections, has also helped put puffas firmly back on the style map, proving you don't have to trade off personality for warmth this winter.
Looking to replicate these designer looks on a budget? Here are some of or top tips:
- Mix and match some statement pieces - like a key jacket - from the current catwalk to keep on trend, but when it comes to where to invest money, don't skimp on classic staples like white shirts that last beyond the season
- Models make the clothes look good because of how they're fitted - while you might not have the budget for Saville Row, you will be able to afford to have some alterations done at a local tailor. Read your reviews, do your research and get ready to look sharp AF for a fraction of the price of bespoke
- Cashback is the clever way to get the latest looks for less. With up to 10% back on all the brands above (as well as 4300 more in everything from fashion to finance) just by signing up and clicking through to where you want to shop via www.quidco.com.
We've picked out our five favourite puffas from the site - which you can sign up to here
- and revealed our top tips for what you should be pairing them with, below:
This classic Nike puffa jacket (available at Zalando)
is the perfect winter coat. Simple yet stylish if you’re not feeling brave enough to try bolder styles, the longer fit, subtle branding and smart black look keep it cool but casual, while extra padding in the hood will keep you toasty when the seasons start to bite.
This coat by 11 Degrees (available at ASOS)
draws heavily on street-wear style. Complete with statement hood, the classic beige colour has been all the rage this season, most notably thanks to Kanye West and his Yeezy collections.
If you’re looking to stand out this winter, this bold statement Love Moschino number (available at ASOS)
is the coat for you. With exaggerated ridges and glossy finish - as seen on the runways at Burberry and Raf Simons - the affordable price tag gives you the iconic Moschino look on a fraction of the budget.
This mid blue number from Topman
is the most mature of the bunch. The classic colour and strong colour makes it easy to pair with everything, while the wide stitching keeps the looking laid back but refined.
Our fifth and final pick is from Lacoste
. More lightweight than a large puffa it's a jacket for all season, both day and night. The contrast of the panelled and curved stitching injects a sporty, youthful edge, and of course the classic Lacoste crocodile makes a statement of its own.
FINISH THE LOOK
1) The Top
- Always remember the basics: Statement jackets on the catwalk are often paired with simplicity, and that's where the basic tee come in. Pick a monochrome plain tee (white, black, greys and navy) and let the jacket do the talking. Our tip pick is a stay soft crew neck from the exclusive David Gandy for Autograph collection at Marks & Spencer.
2) The Bottom
- Pair your puffa with a tailored jogging bottom, which retains the elevated streetwear element that's been a firm favourite on the menswear catwalk this season. Topman have this trend nailed and they come in a selection of colours and fits which are available all year-round.
3) The Shoes
Fashion Week saw the '90s logo revival continue to grow, and a chunky trainer or even a high top will help accentuate your look. This Jordan high top trainer from Nike at JD Sports is the perfect trainer to bring the whole look together - the classic '90s design and Jordan logo help give it retro edge while keeping it bang on trend.
So there you have it! The premise is easy: Simply sign up to quidco.com
where there are thousands of products (over 4300+ brands) to pick from, including hundreds of other trend-driven clothes from high street brands.When you shop that jacket (or any other item) on Quidco
, the commission they receive from the brand goes directly back to you in the form of cashback, giving you even more money to finish the look.
Signing up through Attitude
means you get £10 credit for spending just £5. It's almost like you're being paid to shop - which is basically every fashionista's dream, no?
Nyle DiMarco discusses sexuality and changing deaf lives in Attitude’s October issue
Katy Perry breaks down as she meets Pulse survivor, makes him a life-changing offer