Paul O’Grady was left heartbroken after his beloved pet dog Bullseye died following an abrupt seizure.
The comedian and TV and radio presenter – who is an ambassador for Battersea Dogs and Cats Home – has been an advocate for rehoming and caring for pets and animals in and around the UK.
But while speaking on his BBC Radio 2 show on Sunday (February 17), O’Grady revealed his beloved pooch – who suffered from epilepsy – was taken ill last week and tragically died in his car on the way to the vets.
O’Grady said: “Now I will tell you my lousy news,' he said. 'You know that I did have an epileptic dog called Bullseye.
“I've got two dogs that both have epilepsy and I've managed it with medication. However, on Monday night he had a massive seizure, like a really bad one that he didn't come out of and on the way to the vets at two o'clock in the morning he died in the car.
“I can’t tell you, poor old Bullseye. He was such a lovely dog, he had a thing about doorways, you had to coax him through them and he wouldn’t go upstairs.
“It was part of his condition I think, he was a sweet little dog and sadly missed. It’s just terrible really and I just said to (BBC Radio producer) Malcolm, ‘No more, that’s it Malcolm, no more animals!’
“Maybe a mongoose might twist my arm, but no I can’t handle it, it's what I always say; invite an animal into your life, inevitably you invite heartache.
“But then why contemplate the hangover when you’re at the party, you know what I mean? So that's the poor saga about poor old Bullseye, he’s gone but not forgotten.”
To make matters worse, he also said that after returning home from the vets, one of his nine other dogs had eaten a piece of chocolate and he was forced to return to the surgery.
He continued: “I get home from the vets and one of my other dogs had found a bar of chocolate that was 80 per cent cocoa that had been left out stupidly - not by me!
“I don't like chocolate - on the coffee table. So, we had to go back, it was the same emergency vet, for her to get her stomach pumped and we got her back two days later looking worse for wear because she was covered in charcoal because you know they give them charcoal at the vets.”